The next Sunday Distance Run will take place on February 8, 2015 at 8:00 a.m. in front of the CB2 store in Georgetown, Washington, DC. Our pace groups include:
- 7:00 min/mile – 8:00 min/mile AND the 8:00 min/mile – 9:00 min/mile groups running the High Road -Ranger Station Loop through Rock Creek Park for 13.6 miles with the opportunity to add on.
- 10:00 min/mile group running 8-10 mile out-and-back run on the Capital Crescent Trail out of Georgetown to either Fletcher’s Boat House or the water fountain just beyond the Maryland State Line, respectively.
For more information on our routes, click here. If you have questions about our routes, or need a different distance/pace/etc, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW POST RUN MEETING PLACE: We’ll be at the Washington Canoe Club after the run starting at 9:00 a.m. If you’re up for it, join us for coffee at Malmaison just down the road.
See you on Sunday!
Greetings, my fellow WRC-ers,
I’m pleased to be writing to you as the Washington Running Club’s newest president and excited to join the WRC board for another year of running and socializing with our great club! I’d also like to thank Kirk Masterson for his two years of service to WRC as president – they are certainly big shoes to fill.
On Saturday, January 17, WRC held it’s annual meeting and party which lended itself to productive club discussions as well as lighthearted conversation catching up with friends both new and old. Many thanks to our VP, Carla Freyvogel, for hosting the party in her beautiful home and for serving wonderful meals and drinks – perhaps we should double as a cooking club?
Club Goals for 2015
Without further ado, let’s lay out some of our goals for the next year based on feedback from club members.
- Increase participation on the WRC board: the WRC board is the heartbeat of the club. While we have several positions already filled – including President, Vice President, Chief Information Officer, Treasurer, Social and Outreach Coordinator, and Race Manager – we need more support for other important positions, such as Secretary and Run Coordinator, to name a few. Click here to learn more about the positions and send an email to me at email@example.com if you’re interested in joining the board!
- Grow the Sunday Distance Run pace groups: WRC is growing and that’s great news for our Sunday Distance Runs. A greater number of runners means greater opportunity to have a running partner and improve your running overall. We plan to do this by continuing to embrace the greater DC running community and welcoming runners of all levels.
- Socialize more!: running forms great bonds, but there’s something special about seeing your best running friends out of uniform (in non-running clothes) for the first time! This year, we’ll have more happy hours, outings, and special runs, volunteer opportunities, and it will be posted on our club calendar so you can plan for our events.
How can I help?
Join the board or organize an event: there’s a lot you can do to give back to the club! Whether it’s joining the board or organizing a happy hour, you can dedicate as much or as little time as you want – everything helps. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas.
Represent WRC at a race: signed up for any races? Join the WRC racing team! Send an email to our Race Coordinator, Julia Taylor, at email@example.com to learn more.
On behalf of the WRC Board, thank you so much for your membership, camaraderie, and commitment to running. We have a lot to look forward to in the coming year and I am thrilled to be sharing it with you!
See you on Sunday,
Happy Snow Day, and Happy New Year, WRCers!
The WRC Annual Meeting of Members & Party is NEXT Saturday, January 17th at Carla Freyvogel’s home at 1207 Stuart Robeson Drive, McLean, VA 22101. The meeting will last from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and the party will continue onward to ~ 10:00 p.m.
Details to follow shortly about parking and finding the house. A brief agenda for the meeting will also be circulated to all WRC members in good standing.
On the business side of things, we will:
- Announce the 2014 award winners,
- Elect the 2015 board members, and
- Address any other business as may properly come before the meeting.
The cost of the event this year is FREE, but we ask that you bring something to share with your clubmates (Potluck or BYOB). The club will supplement your contributions with good appetizers.
Please be sure to RSVP by Wednesday, January 14th to Carla Freyvogel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you on next Saturday!
JANUARY 17th UPDATE!!!!
Parking at Carla’s place:
1207 Stuart Robeson Drive in McLean is in a small neighborhood with limited parking.
If you can find a spot in the neighborhood itself, more power to you. Otherwise, there are other options! You can:
- Park on Rt. 123 on the shoulder or in the turnout lane as you approach the neighborhood, heading NORTH on Rt. 123. My car (navy blue station wagon) will be out there to mark the spot.
- You can park at the Safeway on Chain Bridge Road, and walk across the street. As runners, this should not be a problem.
See you tonight! Questions, just call: 703.409.7028 or 703.356.2339.
Sunday Distance Run Time Change to 7:00 a.m.
The summer heat and humidity is planning to arrive later this week, so in an effort to beat the heat, we will start our Sunday Distance Run an hour earlier, effective Sunday, June 2, 2013. The 7 a.m. start time will be in effect through September 1st, as reflected on WRC’s calendar.
Good luck to Michaela Corr and Daniel Yi
Michaela is departing for her summer internship in the Olympic city of Rio de Janeiro (BRA). And Dan is destined for Durban (RSA), Pietermaritzburg, and all points in-between for the Comrades Marathon (54 miles). Good luck to them both!
Team Photo-Op this coming Sunday
With all the new members and visitors finding us, let’s mark the occasion with a club photo before kicking off the next Sunday run. We’ll have it posted and captioned online lickety-split.
NEXT BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING: 10:00 AM, MAY 11, 2013. Calendar. Map. RSVP. Continue reading
UPDATED 4/16/2013 9:45 AM:
To the best of our knowledge, all from WRC have now been accounted for.
For general people-finding pertaining to Monday’s incident, please refer to Google’s Person Finder. Continue reading