On Sunday, January 31, 2016, the Washington Running Club (WRC) hosted our Annual Meeting at Dog Tag Bakery in Georgetown. With over 20 runners in attendance, we were able to reflect upon 2015 as a club and brainstorm ideas on how to make WRC even better in 2016. Here are some of the takeaways from the meeting:
2016 WRC Board Members
The following members have stepped up to a Board position for 2016:
- President: Lauren Masterson
- Vice President: Carla Freyvogel
- Treasurer: James Scarborough
- Volunteer Coordinator: Patrick O’Keefe
- Sunday Distance Run Coordinator: Jordan Konig
- Grand Prix Coordinator: Joni Waldron
- Race Team Coordinator: Julia Taylor
- CIO/Website: Lauren Masterson
- Newsletter Editor: Lauren Masterson and Julia Blakely
Helen Burns has offered to serve as our Track Coordinator, but details of these workouts are still being worked out. Stay tuned for more information!
THANK YOU to everyone who volunteered for the 2016 WRC Board. You play a critical role to the success of the club!
Making WRC Great in 2016
A large portion of our meeting was spent discussing how to make WRC even better in 2016. Everyone contributed great ideas and I look forward to working with all of you to implement these ideas and help shape the club to the best it can be.
- Monthly happy hours: Starting on Thursday, February 18, WRC happy hours will take place on the third Thursday of every month (and will aptly be named “Thirsty Third Thursday”)
- Regular communications: we’ll send monthly newsletters, along with race and run information on an as-needed basis. “Race awareness” messages may also be sent to coordinate registration deadlines, team events, and transportation to races.
- Coordinated runs and workouts: WRC’s official run is the Sunday Distance Run, but many (if not all) of us run on a regular basis from varying locations. We invite you to post these runs and workouts on our Facebook Page to see if others in the group have an interest in joining you.
- parkrun event support: parkrun just started in Washington, DC and they need volunteers. This is great opportunity for WRC to support the local running community and network with other runners.
Long Term Actions
- “Lazy Person” Saturday Runs: a second regular WRC run in the making – stay tuned!
- Sunday Distance Run Location Changes: on occasion, we may switch up the starting location of our Sunday Distance Run. For example, we may start at Tris Krueger’s house and finish with a swim in his pool after, or even go on a weekend running retreat.
- WRC Gear: we want to show our WRC pride – what better way than through sweet gear? We’ll look into ways to make this happen.
Remember, if you have other ideas, or want to help put these ideas into motion, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com.
Thank you to everyone who attended our Annual Meeting and to those who attended in spirit. We look forward to sharing many runs, happy hours, races – and whatever else 2016 brings – with you!
Washington Running Club
P.S. Check out this snapshot of the party!